Mexican Repertoire Initiative partnership with the composer and teacher, Enrico Chapela, as well as two Mexican composition schools: NICO (Núcleo Integral de Composición) and CIEM (Centro de Investigación y Estudios Musicales)
Year-long virtual Spanish-Language composition workshop
No age requirements, open to new and experienced composers alike
Open to composers from all Latin American countries
30 – 40 works: 25% Mexico City, 50% Greater Mexico, 25% other Latin American Countries
Students will complete their works by the Fall of 2023. Finished works will be sent to a coalition of International Wind Bands.
- Each coalition member will receive 1-2 works at the beginning of the 2023 academic year, which they will record and provide feedback for.
- Coalition members will only be obliged to provide reference recordings, but will also have the first right of refusal for World-Premiere performance and/or professionally recording their assigned work.
- Select works may be chosen for inclusion on an album produced by Urtext Digital Classics.
We anticipate unprecedented enrollment due to the recording element and offer of international relationships as well as our slate of guest faculty which includes…
- Arturo Marquez, Frank Ticheli and many more
- Which means we need a lot of Wind Bands in the Coalition!!
Mexican Composer Incubation Members
- Dustin Barr, CSU Fullerton
- David Bertman, University of Houston
- Trae Blanco, Butler University
- Erin Bodner, Univ. of North Florida
- Nicholas Bratcher, Cal State Univ. San Bernadino
- Josh Byrd, Univ. of West Georgia
- Jamal Duncan, Arizona State University
- Thomas Duffy, Yale University
- Caroline Hand, Univ. of Oklahoma
- Benjamin Harper, Valdosta State Univ.
- John Hart, Keene State College
- Andrew Hunter, Univ. of Texas El Paso
- Eric Jimenez, Prairie View A&M
- Shannon Kitelinger, San Diego State Univ.
- Michael Kasper, Carpentersville MS
- Brian Messier, The Valley Winds
- Dennis Llinás, University of Oregon
- Benjamin Lorenzo, Kent State University
- Jeffrey Malecki, Univ. of San Diego
- Cory Meals, University of Houston
- Brian Messier, Dartmouth College
- Sixto Montesinos, Saint Mary’s College
- Chad Nicholson, Univ. of Arizona
- Andy Pease, Hartwick College
- Luis Miguel Sánchez, UNAM Mexico City
- Corey Seapy, Millikin University
- John Stewart, Univ. of Wisconsin Eau Claire
- Kenneth Thompson, Bowling Green State
- Cynthia Johnston Turner, Wilfred Laurier Univ.
- Matthew Westgate, Univ. of Massachusetts
- Chris Wilhjelm, New Jersey Wind Sym.
- John Zarco, Univ. of Texas San Antonio
But there’s still room for you! This workshop, which we hope offer annually, will generate 30+ authentic Mexican works per year for Middle, High School, and Collegiate Wind Bands. Added to the works already created through the Mexican Repertoire Initiative, we have a growing repertoire that needs to be made available to all.